Today at the New York Auto Show a jury of 59 voted Volkswagen Golf VI as the World Car of the Year 2009.
The Volkswagen Golf VI was chosen from an initial entry list of 51 cars, and in the final voting beat the Ford Fiesta and Toyota iQ.
WCOTY jurors observed that, “The new Golf VI employs Scirocco styled grille and headlights and larger tail lights. However, it also feels more expensive than other family hatches, thanks to its solid build and high quality cabin. Customers get a choice of nothing less than six engines including the punchy and efficient 158hp 1.4-litre TSI unit that features both a turbo and supercharger.
The Golf is also available with the firm’s new 2.0-litre common-rail diesel motor with either 108 or 138hp. It goes without saying that choosing between the slick 6-speed manual and superb DSG twin-clutch gearbox can be difficult. Sitting on an outstanding chassis, the VW is more refined than its rivals, especially when highway cruising. Wind, road and engine noise are kept to a minimum, making the Golf a relaxing long distance companion.”
Previous World Car of the Year winners were the Mazda2 / Mazda Demio in 2008, the Lexus LS460 in 2007, the BMW 3-Series in 2006, and the Audi A6 in 2005.
Fiat 500 was declared the World Car Design of the Year. World Performance Car is the Nissan GT-R and World Green Car is Honda FCX Clarity.
Live pictures by: UP
- Choosing the right tools for your garage and home
- 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO with a chassis no. 3851GT auctioned for $38 million
- Washed, Waxed and Ready to Go – But Who’s Buying?
- 2015 Cadillac Escalade Platinum revealed, entire line-up gets 8-speed transmission, surround view camera and 4G LTE connectivity
- How to Fix a Transmission Leak
- Kia reveals first official photos of third generation Sorento
- 2015 Range Rover Sport SVR is here with 550 horsepower