Volksagen Jetta Hybrid is making its debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show in production form. Powered by a 1.4-litre 150 hp turbocharged petrol engine and a 20 kW electric motor mated to a seven-speed DSG gearbox, it has a fuel consumption around 20 per cent better overall than an equivalent petrol-powered vehicle.
The Jetta is a parallel hybrid and when using electric power alone it can be driven at speeds of up to 70 kmh (44 mph) and over a distance of two kilometres (1.3 miles).
Both the 150 hp TSI engine and the electric motor can be combined giving peak power of 170 hp.
Externally, the Jetta Hybrid is distinguished from a standard model by aerodynamic modifications including a new front spoiler, a rear diffuser and a rear spoiler that help to improve the car’s Cd value by 10 per cent. Other updates include new headlights with LED running lights, hybrid badges, LED rear lights and unique 15-inch alloy wheels with low rolling resistance tyres.
The interior of the Hybrid is very much like that of any other Jetta, except the difference in the instruments. If the driver selects the ‘Hybrid’ menu in the multifunction display, the current drive mode is shown, while a meter indicates energy flow via arrows. The same screen also shows the battery charge state.
- Hear the new 2015 Ford Mustang GT Rev its V8 at Cars & Coffee (VIDEO)
- Porsche announces Cayenne Platinum Edition – priced from $63,300
- McLaren P1 laps the extreme Nürburgring in less than seven minutes (VIDEO)
- 400th Bugatti Veyron sold – just 50 models of the super sports car are still available
- Video: Crazy cyclist rides (BACKWARD) downhill on a wet mountain road in Norway at 50 mph
- This is the new 2015 Ford Mustang with EcoBoost power, independent rear suspension and sleeker design
- Epic video: Ferrari F50 drifting in slow motion – filmed with high speed camera
- Audi Q1 compact SUV confirmed – will be produced from 2016
- Lamborghini Veneno Roadster makes an exclusive debut on Italian aircraft carrier in Abu Dhabi
- Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Premiere Edition Convertible announced, priced from $77,450