Volksagen Jetta Hybrid is making its debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show in production form. Powered by a 1.4-litre 150 hp turbocharged petrol engine and a 20 kW electric motor mated to a seven-speed DSG gearbox, it has a fuel consumption around 20 per cent better overall than an equivalent petrol-powered vehicle.
The Jetta is a parallel hybrid and when using electric power alone it can be driven at speeds of up to 70 kmh (44 mph) and over a distance of two kilometres (1.3 miles).
Both the 150 hp TSI engine and the electric motor can be combined giving peak power of 170 hp.
Externally, the Jetta Hybrid is distinguished from a standard model by aerodynamic modifications including a new front spoiler, a rear diffuser and a rear spoiler that help to improve the car’s Cd value by 10 per cent. Other updates include new headlights with LED running lights, hybrid badges, LED rear lights and unique 15-inch alloy wheels with low rolling resistance tyres.
The interior of the Hybrid is very much like that of any other Jetta, except the difference in the instruments. If the driver selects the ‘Hybrid’ menu in the multifunction display, the current drive mode is shown, while a meter indicates energy flow via arrows. The same screen also shows the battery charge state.
- Bedtime Horror Story in 60 Seconds! This One-Minute Short Film Is Spooky Scary
- This Is Scary! Professional Stuntman Rides a Motorcycle Over a Bridge’s Arch Beam
- Stunning Long Exposure Photo Of the Lunar Eclipse Rising Over China Looks Like a Falling Star
- Ironic How Beautiful War Machines Can Be! This Is One Of The Coolest Fighter Jet Compilations
- Amazing Time-Lapse Video Shows Rome, Pisa & Vatican City In 4K Ultra HD
- This Slow Motion Video In 4K HD Is Mind Blowingly Awesome From Breakdancing To Motorcycling
- This Viral Photo Of A Great White Shark With Open Jaws Is Here To Haunt Your Dreams