Volksagen Jetta Hybrid is making its debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show in production form. Powered by a 1.4-litre 150 hp turbocharged petrol engine and a 20 kW electric motor mated to a seven-speed DSG gearbox, it has a fuel consumption around 20 per cent better overall than an equivalent petrol-powered vehicle.
The Jetta is a parallel hybrid and when using electric power alone it can be driven at speeds of up to 70 kmh (44 mph) and over a distance of two kilometres (1.3 miles).
Both the 150 hp TSI engine and the electric motor can be combined giving peak power of 170 hp.
Externally, the Jetta Hybrid is distinguished from a standard model by aerodynamic modifications including a new front spoiler, a rear diffuser and a rear spoiler that help to improve the car’s Cd value by 10 per cent. Other updates include new headlights with LED running lights, hybrid badges, LED rear lights and unique 15-inch alloy wheels with low rolling resistance tyres.
The interior of the Hybrid is very much like that of any other Jetta, except the difference in the instruments. If the driver selects the ‘Hybrid’ menu in the multifunction display, the current drive mode is shown, while a meter indicates energy flow via arrows. The same screen also shows the battery charge state.
- BMW X4 Sports Activity Coupe revealed – public debut next month in New York
- This is the new Honda Civic Type R Concept – production model to follow in 2015
- Mazda Hazumi concept previews next-generation subcompact – the new Mazda2
- Maserati Alfieri concept celebrates brand’s centenary at the Geneva Motor Show
- New Vauxhall Adam S revealed with 148bhp
- This is the new third-generation Audi TT with up to 310 horsepower in the TTS model
- Alfa Romeo 4C Spider “avant-prémiere” previews production model, scheduled to enter production in 2015 (VIDEO)
- Rembrandt Bugatti Legend based on the Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse revealed, priced from 2.18 million euro
- Apple unveils CarPlay at the Geneva Motor Show – an all-new way to control your iPhone through your car (VIDEO)
- Geneva 2014: Volkswagen T-ROC concept previews a new SUV range