Audi, the inventor of TDI, blazes a trail in the field of engine manufacture. At the 27th annual Lake Wörther Tour being held at the end of May in the Austrian province of Carinthia, the brand behind the four rings is showcasing this technology’s potential with a sensational study.
The two-liter TDI unit under the bonnet of the Audi A3 TDI clubsport quattro delivers 165 kW (224 hp) and musters up 450 Nm (331.90 lb-ft) of torque – the sort of pulling power normally associated with a sports car. The show car races from 0 to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in just 6.6 seconds and attains a top speed of 240 km/h (149.13 mph).
The Audi A3 TDI clubsport quattro projects its power with supreme confidence – both acoustically courtesy of its sonorous exhaust and visually with a series of exclusive parts mounted on the body and in the interior. Exterior components such as the large DTM-look rear spoiler and the bolt-on wheel arch extensions give the car a dynamic air, while the racing bucket seats and open gear lever gate in aluminum form the highlights of the interior.
The show car is a true high-tech sports car. The drive power is directed to the 20-inch wheels via a six-speed transmission and the quattro all-wheel-drive system. At the front wheels, stopping power is provided by six-piston brake calipers and ceramic discs. The Audi drive select driving dynamics system allows the driver to vary at will the throttle response characteristic, the exhaust sound, the level of power assistance for the steering, the cut-in thresholds for the ESP stabilization system, as well as the operating mode of the dampers. The dampers deploy Audi magnetic ride technology, enabling them to react to changes in the driving situation with lightning speed.
At a glance
* Four-cylinder TDI with common-rail injection system
* Displacement of 1968 cc, output of 165 kW (224 hp) and torque of 450 Nm (331.90 lb-ft)
* Optimized exhaust system, sonorous soundtrack
* 0 – 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in 6.6 seconds, top speed 240 km/h (149.13 mph)
* High-efficiency six-speed manual transmission with a lightweight casing, open gear lever gate made of aluminum
* quattro all-wheel drive with extremely fast-action multi-plate clutch
* Four-link rear suspension for dynamic handling and good comfort
* Power steering with highly efficient electric drive
* Wheels measuring 9 J x 20, tire size 265/30
* Six-piston brake calipers and ceramic discs at the front wheels
* Audi drive select driving dynamics system with Audi magnetic ride adaptive damper control
Body and interior
* Length 4,254 millimeters (167.48 inches), width 1,825 millimeters (71.85 inches), height 1,385 millimeters (54.53 inches)
* Motorsport-look design, large rear spoiler
* Racing bucket seats and extra aluminum components in interior
- ATS Leggera revealed – a new two-seat roadster from Italy
- Aston Martin confirms bespoke super saloon: return of the Lagonda nameplate
- 2015 Porsche Cayenne facelift revealed with a sharper design and new engines
- Jaguar Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations builds F-TYPE Concept to Support Team Sky in Tour de France
- All-new Volvo XC90 comes with an impressive list of safety features
- Chevrolet unveils a new SS Pace Car, will be driven by actor Chris Pratt at Brickyard
- Mazda unveils the all-new Mazda2 / Demio in Japan