BMW is rumored to have plans to revive the 8-Series name for a potential “four-door coupe,” much like the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class. New 8-series would compete closely with the new Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, Aston Martin Rapide and Porsche Panamera.
Beginning of the year BMW placed Gerhard Richter in charge of development of its new Gran Turismo model, which is based on the popular CS concept car. New model will be called either simply GT, short for Gran Turismo or 8-series. Most likely the car will get the previous 8-series models name so that BMW can position it as the highest, most luxurious and expensive model.
This new GT/8-series model will be the first non M-series car to be built by the performance division. BMW M President, Herr Willisch said that the CS “It’s a car that doesn’t have any resemblance to the other cars built by BMW AG, so it was decided to give the project to us.”
New 8-series will have a larger wheelbase and sportier chassis than the 7-series, though it will be based on the underpinnings of the new 2009 7-series.
Expected engines will be a V8 twin turbo engine or a 6.0-liter naturally aspirated V12. New 8-series will be introduced most likely in 2010 as a 2011 year model. Still a long time to go with lots of spy shots and rumors. As BMW has not started the testing of the new 8-series we don’t have any spy shots yet, what we have are two artist renderings of the new 8-series. Enjoy!
- 2014 BMW M5 and M6 line-up launched gets an optional Competition Package with extra 15 hp
- Aston Martin centenary celebrations continue – CC100 Speedster Concept debuts at the ADAC Zurich 24 Hours race
- New redesigned Subaru Forester first to ace new crash test (video)
- Audi R8 V10 by ABT Sportsline packs 600 hp
- 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class debuts in Hamburg
- 2014 Cadillac XTS gets a twin-turbo V6 with 410 hp – automatic parking assist
- Watch a horrifying Ferrari 458 crash at the Suzuka Circuit in Japan
- This is how the Audi R8 is handcrafted at the Neckarsulm factory (video)
- New Peugeot 308 – first official pictures and details
- This is how Brazilian police rams a drug plane to prevent takeoff (video)