BMW is rumored to have plans to revive the 8-Series name for a potential “four-door coupe,” much like the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class. New 8-series would compete closely with the new Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, Aston Martin Rapide and Porsche Panamera.
Beginning of the year BMW placed Gerhard Richter in charge of development of its new Gran Turismo model, which is based on the popular CS concept car. New model will be called either simply GT, short for Gran Turismo or 8-series. Most likely the car will get the previous 8-series models name so that BMW can position it as the highest, most luxurious and expensive model.
This new GT/8-series model will be the first non M-series car to be built by the performance division. BMW M President, Herr Willisch said that the CS “It’s a car that doesn’t have any resemblance to the other cars built by BMW AG, so it was decided to give the project to us.”
New 8-series will have a larger wheelbase and sportier chassis than the 7-series, though it will be based on the underpinnings of the new 2009 7-series.
Expected engines will be a V8 twin turbo engine or a 6.0-liter naturally aspirated V12. New 8-series will be introduced most likely in 2010 as a 2011 year model. Still a long time to go with lots of spy shots and rumors. As BMW has not started the testing of the new 8-series we don’t have any spy shots yet, what we have are two artist renderings of the new 8-series. Enjoy!
- Range Rover Evoque gets a wide bodykit from Prior Design
- BMW Gran Lusso Coupe concept revealed – the ultimate luxury coupe
- McLaren 50 12C & 12C Spider announced to celebrate 50 years of McLaren
- Ford will close all their manufacturing plants in Australia by 2016
- Mansory Stallone tuning package for Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
- Lotus Exige S Roadster with 345 hp now available to order – EU prices start from 55,378 EUR plus local taxes
- Chevrolet Spark EV priced from $27,495 – lease from $199 per month
- Hennessey VelociRaptor SUV based on Ford F-150 Raport revealed – priced from $149,500
- Limited Edition Megane Renaultsport Red Bull Racing RB8 revealed
- Nissan GT-R Gentleman Edition announced in France