The original Jaguar XJ220 was introduced in the late 1980s as a concept, due to a very strong response, Jaguar enlisted Tom Walkinshaw Racing to conduct a feasibility study to determine if a production series would be possible.
The standard XJ220 had a body built of aluminum. Tom Walkinshaw Racing modified nine of these cars; three examples were transformed into the XJ220C to compete in GT racing, while the other six were designated as XJ220S. The XJ220S model, like this example, was comprised of five “standard” units and one additional “modified” version. They were produced as road-going cars built to comply with homologation requirements.
The Walkinshaw-built Jaguars had original panels replaced with carbon fiber and the XJ220Ss were also given a front splitter, wider sills and an adjustable rear spoiler. The additional body kit produced an even more menacing stance than that of the production XJ220. The carbon-fiber panels helped reduce the curb weight to a lithe 2,379 pounds.
The current owner of chassis number 784 has retained it for the last eight years. The owner opted to have a proper titanium exhaust system by Tom Walkinshaw Racing installed at a cost of nearly $20,000. An expert from Spain was flown in to install the exhaust as well as perform a major service on the engine. This included replacement of all belts, injector cleaning as well as recalibrating and updating of the computer software. The result of this work is an outstanding output of approximately 700 horsepower. The brakes and clutch have also been serviced.
Now this rare Jaguar can be yours. RM Auctions expects it to sell between $225,000 and $300,000 next month in Arizona.
- All-new BMW 4 Series Coupe revealed, replaces the 3 Series Coupe
- Audi A4 Avant with 380 horsepower by ABT Sportsline
- 30 millionth Volkswagen Golf drives off the assembly line in Wolfsburg
- PICTURES: Porsche Cayenne S Diesel shows its off-road capabilities
- New Porsche LMP1 prototype revealed ahead of 2014 season
- Rolls-Royce Wraith coupe in motion on British country roads (video)
- SEAT Leon Verde plug-in electric prototype unveiled – based on Leon hatchback
- Lamborghini Sesto Elemento caught on the track at a special event in Nevada (video)
- Watch Nissan Juke-R with 700 hp going against the Bugatti Veyron with 1001 hp
- New Range Rover Sport sets a new record for production SUVs on a 12.42 mile Pikes Peak hillclimb course