The 208 R5 features four-wheel drive, five-speed sequential gearbox, no central differential, long travel suspension, widened tracks, a spoiler, increase wheel arches to fit 18″ wheels without forgetting the minimum weight set at 1200kg for the gravel (loose-surface) and asphalt (tarmac) version, as for the WRC.
The 2.0-litre naturally aspirated unit is replaced by the 1.6-litre turbo that produces 280 hp.
The 208 Type R5 has big ambitions. Designed and assembled in the workshops of Peugeot Sport in Vélizy, it will begin a vast test programme from the end of 2012, both on asphalt and on loose surface (gravel). On sale during the second half of 2013, the 208 Type R5 will compete at the highest level in key championships:
- Intercontinental Rally Challenge
- European Rally Championship
- National Championships
- Volkswagen New Midsize Coupe Concept revealed
- All-new Ford Escort revealed – designed specifically to meet the needs of consumers in China
- Audi TT offroad concept show car revealed
- Volkswagen Golf R 400 concept is one wild hatchback with as much power as Porsche 911 Carrera S!
- Mercedes Concept Coupe SUV previews BMW X6 alternative
- BMW Vision Future Luxury concept debuts at the Beijing Motor Show
- Audi A3 declared 2014 World Car of the Year