Daimler will further expand its U.S. plant in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. In 2015 an entirely new Mercedes-Benz model will roll off the production line as its fifth product. The plant currently produces M-, GL-, and R-Class SUVs and will also build the C-Class for the North American market beginning 2014. For the production of the new model, Daimler will additionally invest US$ 350 million, and will create some 400 further jobs at the plant.
Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Daimler Board of Management and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars: “This new model from the Tuscaloosa plant is an important element of our growth strategy. It is one of the ten additional models which we will introduce within the next four years alone across all segments.” Referring to the Tuscaloosa plant’s role within the global production network of Mercedes-Benz Cars, Zetsche added: “At the same time, we are systematically broadening our manufacturing footprint in the NAFTA region.”
Rumor is that the new model is a BMW X6 fighter. We’ll see soon.
Pictured above is the new B-Class.
- Hennessey VelociRaptor SUV based on Ford F-150 Raport revealed – priced from $149,500
- Limited Edition Megane Renaultsport Red Bull Racing RB8 revealed
- Nissan GT-R Gentleman Edition announced in France
- 2014 BMW M5 and M6 line-up launched gets an optional Competition Package with extra 15 hp
- Aston Martin centenary celebrations continue – CC100 Speedster Concept debuts at the ADAC Zurich 24 Hours race
- New redesigned Subaru Forester first to ace new crash test (video)
- Audi R8 V10 by ABT Sportsline packs 600 hp
- 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class debuts in Hamburg
- Tesla Model S: The Best Car Ever?
- 2014 Cadillac XTS gets a twin-turbo V6 with 410 hp – automatic parking assist