Active seat-belt buckle is a new innovation for the rear seats which is currently under development by Mercedes-Benz and will shortly go into series production in one of the Stuttgart manufacturer’s luxury-segment models.
So what is the active seat-belt buckle? Shortly, an electric motor extends and retracts the seat belt buckle automatically, meaning the belt slack in the area of the pelvis and thorax can be reduced and passengers are secured more firmly in sideways and lengthways directions.
“Active seat-belt buckle is another element of our ‘PRE-SAFE®’ concept, which is intended to provide our customers with optimum protection in real accident scenarios,” stresses Prof. Dr. Ing. Rodolfo Schöneburg, Head of Passive Safety and Vehicle Functions at Mercedes-Benz Cars. “After all, we aim to offer a high standard of safety not only in all model series, but also in all seats.” Active seat-belt buckle has also been developed with an eye on new markets in which the level of occupied rear seats is up to 30 percent – markedly higher than in Europe. “In the rear of premium saloons in particular, passengers tend to sit in particularly relaxed positions in the generous space which is available,” explains Schöneburg. “Active seat-belt buckle as part of PRE-SAFE® unlocks the full potential of the on-board restraint systems.”
Active seat-belt buckle is a moving belt buckle which can be extended by 70 millimetres and retracted by 40 millimetres via an electric motor. The belt buckle is attached via a cable to a spindle nut which runs on a spindle, translating the electric motor’s rotary movement into a linear movement.
- Mansory Stallone tuning package for Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
- Lotus Exige S Roadster with 345 hp now available to order – EU prices start from 55,378 EUR plus local taxes
- Chevrolet Spark EV priced from $27,495 – lease from $199 per month
- Hennessey VelociRaptor SUV based on Ford F-150 Raport revealed – priced from $149,500
- Limited Edition Megane Renaultsport Red Bull Racing RB8 revealed
- Nissan GT-R Gentleman Edition announced in France
- 2014 BMW M5 and M6 line-up launched gets an optional Competition Package with extra 15 hp
- Aston Martin centenary celebrations continue – CC100 Speedster Concept debuts at the ADAC Zurich 24 Hours race
- New redesigned Subaru Forester first to ace new crash test (video)
- Audi R8 V10 by ABT Sportsline packs 600 hp