The CX-5 was follower closely by Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ, which got 318 votes.
According to Mazda, it was CX-5’s revolutionary Skyactiv technology, great handling and economical clean diesel engine that most impressed the 60 jurors.
In accepting the Japan COTY trophy, the so-called ‘Godfather’ of Skyactiv technology**, Kiyoshi Fujiwara, said: “It was a long road. In the early days of Skyactiv development, I had a lot of opposition from colleagues suggesting this technology was not the answer. But we stayed true to our goals, and here we are today, fully recognised by the COTY jurors. Thank you!”
Mazda CX-5 363 votes
Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ 318
BMW 3-Series 282
Range Rover Evoque 218
VW Up! 152
Suzuki Wagon R 68
Citroen DS5 51
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 29
Nissan Note 10
Honda N-Box 9
- Choosing the right tools for your garage and home
- 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO with a chassis no. 3851GT auctioned for $38 million
- Washed, Waxed and Ready to Go – But Who’s Buying?
- 2015 Cadillac Escalade Platinum revealed, entire line-up gets 8-speed transmission, surround view camera and 4G LTE connectivity
- How to Fix a Transmission Leak
- Kia reveals first official photos of third generation Sorento
- 2015 Range Rover Sport SVR is here with 550 horsepower