The CX-5 was follower closely by Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ, which got 318 votes.
According to Mazda, it was CX-5’s revolutionary Skyactiv technology, great handling and economical clean diesel engine that most impressed the 60 jurors.
In accepting the Japan COTY trophy, the so-called ‘Godfather’ of Skyactiv technology**, Kiyoshi Fujiwara, said: “It was a long road. In the early days of Skyactiv development, I had a lot of opposition from colleagues suggesting this technology was not the answer. But we stayed true to our goals, and here we are today, fully recognised by the COTY jurors. Thank you!”
Mazda CX-5 363 votes
Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ 318
BMW 3-Series 282
Range Rover Evoque 218
VW Up! 152
Suzuki Wagon R 68
Citroen DS5 51
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 29
Nissan Note 10
Honda N-Box 9
- 400th Bugatti Veyron sold – just 50 models of the super sports car are still available
- Video: Crazy cyclist rides (BACKWARD) downhill on a wet mountain road in Norway at 50 mph
- This is the new 2015 Ford Mustang with EcoBoost power, independent rear suspension and sleeker design
- Epic video: Ferrari F50 drifting in slow motion – filmed with high speed camera
- Audi Q1 compact SUV confirmed – will be produced from 2016
- Lamborghini Veneno Roadster makes an exclusive debut on Italian aircraft carrier in Abu Dhabi
- Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Premiere Edition Convertible announced, priced from $77,450
- Rest in Peace! Fast and Furious actor Paul Walker dies in a car accident
- Lamborghini Veneno in motion – hear the V12 scream on the track!
- Video: Mercedes SLS AMG with two turbos on the dyno shows big exhaust flames