Chevrolet Volt has been on the market for two years now and clearly is making a change, when it comes to the environment. According to Chevrolet, Volt owners have driven more than 100 million all-electric miles since the vehicle went on sale two years ago this month.
The average Volt owner travels more than 65 percent of the time in pure electric mode, only using the gasoline-powered generator for longer trips.
Volt owners drive approximately 900 miles, or a month and a half, between fill-ups. However, many Volt owners quickly exceed that average, based on an EPA-estimated 98 MPGe that puts electric-only range at 35 mpg city and 40 mpg on the highway.
Andrew Byrne from Los Angeles for example drove over 1,900 miles on his last tank of gas.
Based on EPA estimates and compared to the average new vehicle sold in the United States, Volt owners are saving about $1,370 a year in fuel costs.
In total Volt owners have saved 5 million gallons of gas, which is equivalent to $21 million in gasoline costs averted overall based on $4 per gallon of premium, or more than two supertankers of gas.
As a refresher, the Volt can be driven for first 38 miles in EV mode using a full charge of electricity stored in its 16.50-kWh lithium-ion battery. When the battery runs low, a gas-powered engine/generator extends the driving range another 344 miles on a full tank.
- BMW X4 Sports Activity Coupe revealed – public debut next month in New York
- This is the new Honda Civic Type R Concept – production model to follow in 2015
- Mazda Hazumi concept previews next-generation subcompact – the new Mazda2
- Maserati Alfieri concept celebrates brand’s centenary at the Geneva Motor Show
- New Vauxhall Adam S revealed with 148bhp
- This is the new third-generation Audi TT with up to 310 horsepower in the TTS model
- Alfa Romeo 4C Spider “avant-prémiere” previews production model, scheduled to enter production in 2015 (VIDEO)
- Rembrandt Bugatti Legend based on the Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse revealed, priced from 2.18 million euro
- Apple unveils CarPlay at the Geneva Motor Show – an all-new way to control your iPhone through your car (VIDEO)
- Geneva 2014: Volkswagen T-ROC concept previews a new SUV range