BMW has announced several modifications to the 2012 BMW 1 Series Coupe that will go on sale this coming spring. The new design of the front fascia on the 128i includes BMW’s innovative Air Curtain that counters turbulence near the wheel arches and so reduces the aerodynamic resistance of the vehicle.
New exterior design accents have been incorporated into the headlight and tail light clusters. In the interior, new switches and controls have a more refined look and feel.
Two versions are available: the 128i Coupe and the 135i Coupe. Each has been enhanced to improve convenience and comfort for the 1 Series’ fourth model year.
Powered by a 3.0-liter, 230 horsepower inline-6 engine that generates 200 lb-ft of torque, the 128i Coupe features BMW’s Valvetronic throttle-less intake technology and aluminum/magnesium construction-core elements of BMW’s EfficientDynamics.
The 2012 BMW 135i features BMW’s newest, 3.0-liter inline-6 engine. Equipped with a single, twin-scroll turbocharger and BMW’s revolutionary Valvetronic throttle-less intake technology, the engine produces 300 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque. Referred to internally as the “N55″, the engine reaches peak torque at 1,200 rpm and maintains peak torque all the way to 5,000 rpm. With High Precision direct gasoline injectors, optimum performance and fuel efficiency are achieved with even faster engine response across the entire engine speed range. For the 135i Coupe, acceleration from 0-60 mph is accomplished with the standard 6-speed manual transmission in 5.1 seconds.
The 135i can be equipped with BMW’s 7-speed Double Clutch Transmission (DCT), as featured on the BMW Z4 Roadster. Equipped with DCT, the 135i Coupe will accomplish the 0-60 mph sprint in a scorching 5.0 seconds. A 6-speed Steptronic automatic remains optional on the 128i. So equipped, the 128i Coupe runs 0-60 mph in 6.7 seconds, or 6.1 seconds with the standard 6-speed manual transmission.
- Aston Martin Vanquish Volante revealed – ultimate british open top GT
- Watch “perfect dudes” perform wild tricks with Fiat 500C Abarths
- British Grand Prix Preview
- All-new BMW 4 Series Coupe revealed, replaces the 3 Series Coupe
- Audi A4 Avant with 380 horsepower by ABT Sportsline
- 30 millionth Volkswagen Golf drives off the assembly line in Wolfsburg
- PICTURES: Porsche Cayenne S Diesel shows its off-road capabilities
- New Porsche LMP1 prototype revealed ahead of 2014 season
- Rolls-Royce Wraith coupe in motion on British country roads (video)
- SEAT Leon Verde plug-in electric prototype unveiled – based on Leon hatchback