Todays keyword in the auto industry is fuel efficiency. Automakers are looking into green technologies and are also improving current ones so that new models could get a better gas mileage than the previous one.
Audi has announced that from November A3 1.6 TDI and 1.4 TFSI models equipped with the new S tronic dual-clutch automatic transmission come with the engine start-stop system.
The start-stop system turns the engine off as soon as the vehicle comes to a stop. As soon as the driver removes their foot from the brake pedal engine will start again again.
The A3 1.6 TDI is powered by a four-cylinder TDI, which delivers 105 hp at 4,400 rpm and accelerates from 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 11.7 seconds, top speed is 194 km/h (120 mph). Average fuel consumption is just 4.2 liters of diesel per 100 kilometers (56.00 US mpg).
The A3 1.4 TFSI four-cylinder gasoline engine delivers 125 hpand accelerates from 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 9.3 seconds and tops out at 203 km/h (126 mph). Average fuel consumption is just 5.3 liters (44.38 US mpg).
Both A3 models also come with the on-board energy-recovery system. During braking and coasting phases, this intelligently controls the alternator to recover energy, which is temporarily stored in the battery. This energy is then fed back into the electrical system during acceleration – thus reducing the load on the alternator. That saves fuel again.
Both systems show their real potential in urban-driving where most of driving is done.
Prices for the 3-door 1.4 TFSI start at €23,700 and €24,600 for the Sportback. The new 1.6 TDI with S tronic will sell at a base price of €25,500 for the 3-door and €26,400 for the Sportback.
- Mansory Stallone tuning package for Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
- Lotus Exige S Roadster with 345 hp now available to order – EU prices start from 55,378 EUR plus local taxes
- Chevrolet Spark EV priced from $27,495 – lease from $199 per month
- Hennessey VelociRaptor SUV based on Ford F-150 Raport revealed – priced from $149,500
- Limited Edition Megane Renaultsport Red Bull Racing RB8 revealed
- Nissan GT-R Gentleman Edition announced in France
- 2014 BMW M5 and M6 line-up launched gets an optional Competition Package with extra 15 hp
- Aston Martin centenary celebrations continue – CC100 Speedster Concept debuts at the ADAC Zurich 24 Hours race
- New redesigned Subaru Forester first to ace new crash test (video)
- Audi R8 V10 by ABT Sportsline packs 600 hp