When it comes to fuel-saving records there certainly is some controversy. Even though all these records are usually done on public roads with a stock car it just seems impossible later for future owners to achieve same fuel economy.
There are countless of little factors that make the difference. Weather conditions, speed, road conditions, traffic… etc.
This time Seat reports that Ibiza ECOMOTIVE covered 1,562 km on a 45.53 liters of fuel. Average fuel consumption was just 2.9 liters per 100 km (81.1 mpg).
Behind the steering wheel was Austrian Gerhard Plattner, a well known champion of fuel-saving tests.
Mr. Plattner started his journey near Barcelona at the Martorell facilites and drove all the way through France to Frankurt, Germany.
Ibiza ECOMOTIVE is the Spanish brand’s most ecological car with an official fuel consumtion of 3.7 l/100 km (63.5 mpg). Under the hood is a 1.4-lited TDI engine that develops 80 horsepower.
• Driving across Spain, France and Germany on a single tank
• Only 45.53 litres of fuel were needed to cover the distance of 1,562 km
• Austrian long-haul specialist Gerhard Plattner set the record
The SEAT Ibiza ECOMOTIVE is undisputedly the most ecological vehicle in its segment after proving its driving efficiency by covering no less than a distance of 1,562 km on a single tank of fuel, resulting in an average consumption figure of 2.9 l/100 km. This incredible feat was carried out magnificently by Austrian Gerhard Plattner, a well-known champion of fuel-saving tests, who got the most out of the Ibiza ECOMOTIVE’s qualities.
Gerhard Plattner drove out of the Martorell facilities near Barcelona on board of the Ibiza ECOMOTIVE last Monday 27 April, after both the bonnet and the fuel tank filling mouth had been sealed. The trip began under supervision by the IPMC (International Police Motor Corporation), which was initially planned along a 1,345 km route from south to north on public motorways at a suitable pace.
Plattner drove the Ibiza ECOMOTIVE through Perpignan, Avignon, Lyon, Mulhouse, Freiburg, Frankfurt and finally Göttingen on his way to setting the record. At some points along the way on motorways in Spain and France, Plattner brought the Ibiza up to cruising speeds of 110 km/h.
When they made their triumphant entry in Frankfurt, the SEAT Ibiza ECOMOTIVE had already set the world fuel-saving record for a car in its category, but there was still some fuel left in the tank, so Plattner decided to continue driving until he reached Göttingen, where the chairman of the IPMC removed the seal from the filling mouth and they refuelled the car with the exact same quantity as when the car had left Martorell: 45.53 litres.
A smiling Plattner declared that “setting this record has been incredible. Without a doubt, it has been the most spectacular fuel-saving challenge this year. The pouring rain practically all through the night made driving difficult, but the Ibiza ECOMOTIVE performed to perfection.”
The SEAT Ibiza ECOMOTIVE is the leading car in its segment in terms of sustainability and the Spanish brand’s most ecological car, thanks to its low fuel consumption figure of only 3.7 l/100 km and CO2 emissions level of 98 g/km.
Optimised streamlining, weight reduction and modifications to the 80 hp 1.4 TDI engine’s management have given rise to one of the cleanest cars on the market today. Besides, it is the only model equipped with air-conditioning, a five-door body style and such a low emissions level.
- 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class debuts in Hamburg
- 2014 Cadillac XTS gets a twin-turbo V6 with 410 hp – automatic parking assist
- Watch a horrifying Ferrari 458 crash at the Suzuka Circuit in Japan
- This is how the Audi R8 is handcrafted at the Neckarsulm factory (video)
- New Peugeot 308 – first official pictures and details
- This is how Brazilian police rams a drug plane to prevent takeoff (video)
- Volkswagen Amarok Power-Pickup concept with V6 TDI debuts at Wörthersee
- Volkswagen Design Vision GTI concept with 503 horsepower is the ultimate Golf GTI
- 2013 Playmate of the Year Raquel Pomplun gets $100k and a 2014 Jaguar F-Type
- Bentley Mulsanne and Continental Le Mans Limited Edition models announced