This here is the Opel Ampera aka European Chevy Volt. Two cars are almost identical which should not come as a surprise.
Ampera styling has some features from the new Opel Inignia sedan and Flextreme concept. The car spotted here has no camouflage at all and was actually on an official photo shoot, so we are very likely going to see official images with the same background very soon.
Production Ampera will be a five-door and is scheduled to go on sale early 2011. It will use the same Voltec plug-in hybrid system as the Volt. GM says that Voltec system has a 40 mile (65 km) range from a single charge. Small gasoline engine on the car which powers the generator will increase the range to about 500 miles (800 km).
Recharging from a European 230-volt outlet is expected to take 2-3 hours.
Opel Ampera will also go on sale under Vauxhall brand in UK. Ampera world debut is next month in Geneva.
- Nissan GT-R Gentleman Edition announced in France
- 2014 BMW M5 and M6 line-up launched gets an optional Competition Package with extra 15 hp
- Aston Martin centenary celebrations continue – CC100 Speedster Concept debuts at the ADAC Zurich 24 Hours race
- New redesigned Subaru Forester first to ace new crash test (video)
- Audi R8 V10 by ABT Sportsline packs 600 hp
- 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class debuts in Hamburg
- Tesla Model S: The Best Car Ever?
- 2014 Cadillac XTS gets a twin-turbo V6 with 410 hp – automatic parking assist
- Watch a horrifying Ferrari 458 crash at the Suzuka Circuit in Japan
- This is how the Audi R8 is handcrafted at the Neckarsulm factory (video)