Celebrity DJ Chris Evans(UK Radio DJ) paid €7,040,000 ($10.95 million) for a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder at RM Auctions on Sunday May 18th. This should also be the world record for the most expensive car sold. That legendary model was owned once by actor James Colburn.
Last year’s record was set by a 1962 Ferrari 330 TRI/LM that was sold for $9.3 million.
The 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder was designed by Pininfarina and built by Scaglietti. Based on the 250 GT SWB, it also introduced disc brakes and a 280 hp (209 kW) version of the 250 V12. About 55 were built.
The initial estimate from RM Auctions was nearly half the sale price which makes you think why did the price went so high? Do people on auctions loose their “head” and just bid to get the product they want? I have done it myself on ebay auctions, but for me it has been just tens of dollars and after the auction I have asked myself why did I get carried away! Did Chris Evans pay too much or not is his business, but it makes you think could not he have gotten the same car or similar cheaper?
Here the bidding is still on:
Happy winner Chris Evans (Don’t you wish you were a DJ)
Source: RM Auctions
- Range Rover Evoque gets a wide bodykit from Prior Design
- BMW Gran Lusso Coupe concept revealed – the ultimate luxury coupe
- McLaren 50 12C & 12C Spider announced to celebrate 50 years of McLaren
- Ford will close all their manufacturing plants in Australia by 2016
- Mansory Stallone tuning package for Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
- Lotus Exige S Roadster with 345 hp now available to order – EU prices start from 55,378 EUR plus local taxes
- Chevrolet Spark EV priced from $27,495 – lease from $199 per month
- Hennessey VelociRaptor SUV based on Ford F-150 Raport revealed – priced from $149,500
- Limited Edition Megane Renaultsport Red Bull Racing RB8 revealed
- Nissan GT-R Gentleman Edition announced in France